Saturday 27 February 2010

Tamworth Pigs - (Waxwings)

Had to drop Gemma off at the Space Centre in Leicester today where she was working on her NVQ, studying the effects of swimming in weightless conditions? :-)

I went off to study the effects of planting ornamental Sorbus trees in residential areas - they seem to attract Waxwings although pretty hard to come by this year!!! I ended up in Tamworth, Staffs and spent most of the morning watching a traffic island, explaining to taxi drivers what I was doing/looking at and showing images of the birds to local residents to convince them I wasn't planning on coming back later that evening.....






Here's why!






Attactive birds as ever and nice orange berries but gloom and drizzle put the mockers on a bit of quality!








A long morning to try and get a pic or two, the pattern followed was:

1. Gorge berries for about 1 minute

2. Sit in a tree (totally off limits for photography) and digest them for 30 mins

3. Repeat 1 and 2 (unless a Mistle Thrush shows then go to 4)

4. Fly off somewhere

5. After 15 mins, return to 2 and with luck loop back to 1 !!










Here he is - one of two particularly spiteful Missile Thrushes - get orfff my berries, or else!






OK, Ok I'm going.......






Eventually, so did I and back in Leics. with another hour to spare, checked out Eyebrook reservoir. All very distant birding and no Green-winged Teal, no White-fronted Goose but at least South of the Island, Slav Grebe and Black-necked Grebe had hung around, plus a bonus male Smew on the far bank!

The only image forthcoming here was that of a fine male Kestrel....








It's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!!! I think I'll just be geting wet somewhere??