Wednesday 21 July 2010

Venus Pool - Invasion of the Godwits!!

The scene at lunchtime.... Two Black-tailed Godwits looking bored and fed up.....

Maybe a suitable caption: "This place needs livening up - where's the rest of our party got to?"






Later that afternoon....

I got a call (many thanks) from Geoff - "Jim, there's FORTY black-tailed Godwits at Venus Pool!" I was still at work and with a thunderstorm brewing I reckoned they wouldn't be going anywhere, a quick bite to eat and I was there....






Trouble was they were quite mobile and stretched over a wide area so no way could I get them all in a single shot!






Ironically, the Ragwort plague was due to be pulled this very evening - the team of volunteers were assembled but we agreed to leave everything undisturbed - these birds were clearly hungy and in need of a rest/food. That very same Ragwort acts as a nice backdrop to some isolated goups.....








Now that certainly did liven things up! So far as I know, the second largest count at a single location in Shropshire. The highest count was 68 - again at good old VP!