Saturday 20 November 2010

Astbury Mere - Great Northern Diver

It's November and I hadn't got Great Northern Diver on the yearlist! With reports of two birds showing well in Cheshire and the thought of doing the local retail parks leaving me as cold as it was, I set the satnav for Astbury Mere near Congleton.....

The satnav warned me (irritating just as I joined the M6) that there were delays due to a slow moving wide load, I trundled the 10 miles or so, bever having seen how wide it was, before I could get off :-(

On arrival (eventually) at 10.30, it was still misty and it soon became apparent that the sailing club on the opposite bank was the place to be! Here's the scene.....






I settled down and waited for the Diver to come close, which it eventually did ....






but never too close!










Great Northern Divers certainly live up to their name, they certainly dive a lot (although I only saw two fish caught nearby). They also cover great distances underwater , it was no surprise for the diver to surface 100m or so away from where it was last seen!!










I had to wait quite some time for a 'wingflap' but when it came these were the most satisfying images of the day!








I just love the 'droplet' effect.....






Grim light but nevertheless, the water and this Great-crested Grebe had a Wintry feel about it.....








One or two Grey Wagtails flitting about nearby too.






The UK list has an almost finished' feel about it now - 249 and one to go - wonder what the next bird will be?