Sunday 2 January 2011

Wild Goose Chase?

It wasn't exactly the crack of dawn or 'armed with torches' but slowly, surely, resisting sleep by counting Canada Geese, several birders descended upon Whixall Moss. Whilst Howard claimed the bird of the day (male Hen Harrier no less) the rest of us (well, me) were content with the crumbs of year ticks like... Pintail!






and Marsh Tit








Speaking of crumbs, for the second day running Willow Tits were on the menu, I'll be quite happy if I see them every day but I think the bubble will burst (from tomorrow!)








It was an early finish for me too but not before I had paid my daily dues to Little Welney near Cound, from where the Staffs contingent of Bewick's had now departed (presumably crop tasting at Acton Pigot?) and the three Whoopers were.... somewhere else!

Never mind, EIGHT Bewick's Swans were still loving every minute of the Shropshire air! They were a little bit closer too, so.... shots of one's and two's!






One of the two juveniles....






The two's .....








A strange 'Siamese' creation??






I was enjoying every minute of their company.....