Saturday 30 April 2011

Churton Marlpits - Hairy Dragon!

I suppose I'd better point out (don't fall off your chair, if you're an insect enthusiast) this was NOT in Shropshire but not that far north of the County..... in Cheshire!

What better way to rekindle odonataphilia than this very lucky close encounter with a female Hairy dragonfly at Churton Marlpits on the way back from an alpine plant show near Manchester, Despite a short yomp down tractor tracks through Oil seed Rape, a more idyllic habitat would be hard to find......






I'd been watching a fairly large Dragonfly flying across the pool when amazingly it perched not far way. Sensing it may return to the spot, I moved close to it and waited -I could not believe my luck!!






What a stunner! The moment didn't last long but I got a side view or two....








Before taking the liberty of a close up, taking that hairy thorax, so aptly named....






Oh well, at least my eye is in - just got to find one of these in Shropshire now!!