Sunday 16 November 2008

Bilsdale - Two bar!!

The drive up to Bilsdale went without incident until we arrived at the location and with quite a few birders departing (it had just been showing well) we parked on the roadside! Now then - Andy L casually unloading gear, queried from a departing (birder??) "Will I need a scope"?

Not the most taxing of questions, eliciting a bit of a grunted reply. Eventually as this tosser (you probably don't realise who you are!) was leaving - out came his reponse. "Your mate needs to learn some manners"!! You'd think with such a fantastic bird on show everyone would be smiling?? Apparently not!

I thought I recognised him*, one of my childrens books?? .......

Now come on Andy, next time (he has been practising) - "Excuse me, could I trouble you, will I need a scope to view this bird pleeeeeeeease??".

Anyway back to the Two bar hunt......

Described as up hill and down dale, the emphasis was on 'up' to the farm.








It was fairly quiet too with no more than 15 birders on site. We waited patiently.....

Here's one of the garden feeders....









An hour had elapsed and I had started chatting to the farmers wife. I've gotta say this - in this era of trespass/bloody twitchers - she was an absolute treasure, a breath of fresh air!

"Is it not showing - you can come round to the back garden where there's another feeder if you like"?

A fantastic lady, so welcoming given the obvious constant disturbance to their daily life. I hope everyone gives generously to the bucket!!

Then, with a cry of "its back", attention turned to the nearby Larches......










After a minute or so, the waited for moment arrived! I'd trained my lens on the feeder and captured the next few minutes of feeding frenzy.....








What an awesome bird and on a garden feeder!! Can you really believe it? Just love these head on shots, wing bar clearly visible...








Then, with the Crosser back in the Larches, mainly out of view in the middle of the twiggy foliage, time to depart, it was downhill all the way.






Two lifers (for me), three year ticks and just another four yearbirds to go.

*I realised who he was - 'Mr Grumpy!!'

And if anyone had asked......

"Will you need a scope"? "Not when it's on the feeder mate, but might be useful if you want a better view in the Larches - cracking bird, enjoy"!

It doesn't hurt to smile.......