Friday 20 December 2013

Patrington Haven - Ivory Gull!!

Various unforeseen circumstances had got in the way of a day out in East Yorkshire but today was destined to be the day that I finally caught up with the Patrington Haven juvenile Ivory Gull......

The idyllic surroundings!



 I arrived at midday in a bit of a hurry to say the least, savouring a full 30 secs of the Ivory Gull finishing the main fish course some 30m distant.....


Before flying off :-(


The view to the rocks provided the obligatory 'tick' for later arrivals but with a strong wind blowing, it looked set to be a long wait if more images were to be forthcoming?


By 2.45, it was still 'no return'  and with an evening commitment and Hull rush hour looming large, I was forced to play my trump card and start the walk back to the car.

I was 100m down the track when (it had worked) I looked back - to see the gull flying in over the now enthusiastic gallery. Usain Bolt eat your heart out, I'd have given you a run for your money :-)


Shame about the low light but I reckon I was lucky to gat any sort of flight shot!




And then it was time to enjoy the sight of the Ivory Gull feasting on the various piscatorial offerings!! With a complete shortage of whale-meat, a distinct abhorrence of cod fillets and identifying why carp is aptly named as 'coarse' fish, there was only one dish on the menu!


Prime salmon fillet......  well look at it - how could you resist this tasty morsel?


Shame it wouldn't go down in one.....


Apart from 'feeding time' there was only so may shots you could take. But with such an amazing gull, sooooo close, it was time to take them and savour the moment!!


The rear view....




A change of backgound.....



And finally a big crop to enjoy the head / bill pattern....


A Tunnocks Teacake toasted lifer number 20 for the year :-)

And then I DID beat the Hull rush hour, the M1 behaved, the M6 toll proved it's worth and I was back in Shropshire by 6.45 about to enjoy a prime rump steak - I somehow didn't fancy fish......