Tuesday 14 July 2015

Farne Islands - Puffins and Puffling

Been a little quiet of late due to a family holiday based in Seahouses which was mainly devoted to Castles and beaches! I did manage a couple of boat trips and the first one gave me a couple of hours on Inner Farne. The Farnes are a magical place with thousands of seabirds, seals etc. but I unashamedly spent most of an hour spent on Inner Farne photographing Puffins!! As I haven't got enough?

Individuals posing......




A few flight / landing shots too!






 Always amusing to see how a pair 'billing' attracts a crowd of onlookers!


 But the highlight for me was a sight I'd never seen before (and according to a warden rarely seen in daylight!)  A brief emergence of a Puffling from it's burrow!!


A quick wing flap - looks like the open sea is beckoning??


But it was followed by a retreat to safety down below!


Perhaps he/she was waiting for fish?? That's coming next......