Monday 10 October 2016

Scilly day 11 - Deaths-Head Hawkmoth

What a way to start the day, I even ignored the Subalpine Warbler for an hour or so as I made my way up to Longstone.....I've managed to evade the lure of being a 'mother' but I know many birders who love the daily ritual of the moth trap! Down here of course there's a much greater chance of something very special and they don't come more special than this! In fact I've been hoping to catch up with one of these since for longer than I can remember.......

Most describe it as the 'beast' or 'monster' - Death's-Head Hawkmoth.....


As freaky as they come!



A fence post is one thing but you get a sense of just how big they are when against a familiar object like an arm, hand or finger?


The colourful orange underside.....



A body fit to put a hornet to shame!



And in the open fingers - the  mother of all moths!!


I'm indebted to Mick and Will Scott for there hospitality and laying on a Cattle Egret too!!The moth was released later that evening ....