Saturday 31 December 2016

Waxwings in the gutter!

There are plenty of Waxwings about and Dave Chapman has put some major hours in locating suitable trees and at least two small flocks were pinned down to bring the new year in for him!  I joined him for an hour or so as they fed on Lancaster road, spending more time in nearby trees than on the berries! (This is a post which nearly got forgotten!! Excuse the copyright caption, I can't be bothered to amend from 2017!!)

A useful aid to get youngsters counting, maybe I could write a children's book?

Here's 16 of the 19 in this flock!


I didn't even attempt to photograph them on the berries, an awful 'twiggy' tree and awful light! But just like Crossbills, a bird's gotta drink to aid the digestion...

Lets start with three?





There's actually four in this one below!


Didn't believe me eh?


Yep, definitely four!


Wait a minute, make that seven!


Crikey 11 of them down at once...


And with shutter speeds well below 1/100 sec you can expect some 'unusual' camera back moments ... like this blurry flight shot! Make that three...


May I wish you all a happy waxwing new year....