Saturday 29 July 2017

Venus Pool - Osprey!!!!!!!

Yes, an exclamation mark for each of the weeks, I've been missing this local 'traveller'! First seen back in May, I've arrived just after it's been and gone...  and departed just before it arrived with great regularity! If that makes sense?

An Osprey had been seen over Gailey - just after midday, we shall never know for sure but Steve Richards noted it was a tatty bird missing some primaries. (Does this look familar Steve?)

And today, at 2.30pm,  expecting nothing I casually looked out of the window (together with Mark Wilson also hoping but not really expecting) and shouted OSPREY!! Then, scrambled for the camera I didn't expect to use!!


I wasn't imagining it then!




Viewed from the main hide it was handing over the middle of the pool with a hover coming on!



A tantalising glint of 'blue' on that left leg...




After aborting a dive, it circled and came a bit closer, still resolutely refusing to give a view of the left leg!





And then, on the final hover, much further away, those dangling legs revealed to confirm...



Closer crop of the above and rubbish image but no doubt about it - FXO is still around :-)



You know I feel lucky again? Maybe another chance in better light? When I'm least expecting it of course!